Sunday, January 13, 2008

Drive-by Spam

Since a few months ago, this is what my driveway looks like after only a few days! Suddenly, and I do mean suddenly, we have become the target for every flier, news-daily, pamphlet, you name it! I don't subscribe to any of these periodicals, and in general I don't even look at them, but I do have to pick them up and recycle them, or throw them in the trash because they have gotten soaking wet (which is at least 50% of the time). Although it may seem trivial, there is literally something there everyday, so it becomes a pain to have to deal with it.

I guess I first noticed the increase in these pamplets just prior to the end of daylight savings time. I'm not sure what triggered the onslaught, because prior to then I can only remember getting two such fliers in a week, both local Laurel community newspapers. I didn't read those regularly either, but at least it wasn't a major effort keeping the driveway clear. I've only seen the deliverers of this "driveway spam" on several occasions, but never when they were gracing my driveway with their wares. One time was further up my block, I was driving the other way, and the guy was just hurling them over the roof of his car. Apparently the acceptable "drop zone" is anywhere within about 20 feet of the end of the driveway. Perhaps there's a way to get the deliveries stopped, but I haven't quite reached the level of frustration required to get it sorted. Anyway, if you happen to be driving by my house or pulling into the driveway, watch yourself as you get out, you just might have to duck an incoming pamphlet!

No comments: